Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Introduction / Goals

I have a problem. The same problem many gamers have. I have a large backlog. I don't have a few games in my backlog. It's not even in the 20's. We're way past 50. Have we passed 100? You bet. Surely not more 200?

Oh, yes indeed. In fact, my count of unbeaten games on my backloggery account is 1014 (there are plenty of duplicates, unique entries will probably tally closer to 700), and there is still a pile on my desk I've yet to account for with more in the mail and plenty of pre-orders for the January-February time frame (Fire Emblem Fates, Nitro+ Blasterz, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, Gravity Rush Remastered, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, Megadimension Neptunia VII, Atelier Escha and Logy Plus, Digimon Cyber Sleuth).

My acquisition rate of games is rapidly outpacing my completion rate. While I don't see that in itself as much of a problem (play what you want, don't make your backlog a job, etc etc) I do think it's a bit wasteful and feel like it tapers my enjoyment of a shiny new game a bit. I want a new game to fee more exciting again, rather than a chore because there's a pile building up on my desk that I need to relocate to the shelves in the game room.

I also do think managing a backlog and coming up with fun rules and ideas to organize a plan of attack is pretty fun in itself, too. I always enjoy finding someone else's backlog-blog to see what games they're playing and what ideas they have, so I thought I'd join the party.

I'd like to use this blog to talk about:
-What games I'm playing
-Game Impressions / Reviews
-New game acquisitions
-Game room show-off posts and improvements as they happen
-Games I resisted the urge to buy. I find the impulse pretty hard to ignore, so I think it might be helpful to start keeping track of it so I can remember how silly it was to want a game weeks after the urge has died down. (recently this happened with Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z and Anarchy Reigns)

Part brainstorm. Part show-off. All consumerism.

Again, backlogs are actually kind of fun. I think if I ever completely finished mine I'd be a bit bummed, but something about crossing the 1,000 game mark has made me realize that I'm diminishing new game excitement and being a bit wasteful with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment